Thursday, July 29, 2010

MEGADETH, Testament and Slayer

This was quite the night, I now have a head ache, and my neck hurts from all the head banging. But you know what, its a good kind of pain. I went to the long-delayed Megadeth concert (delayed since November '09 =[ ) and boy it was pretty awesome.

Testament opened, we ran kindve late so I did miss a few songs, but I swear they performed just as I expected. I've always liked Testament, mostly for their guitarist and he was great. Definitely banged my head a lot there.

Then came MEGADETH, now this was the best part of the concert for me. Megadeth was AMAZING, they played an AMAZING set list, with ALL of my favorite album (RUSH IN PEACE \m/) along with some other GREAT choices. Other than this, their musicianship was amazing and they had a some what graceful stage presence. Chris Broderick is absolutely mindblowingly fantastically amazing. I banged my head during this like no tomorrow, it was great.

Then came SLAYER, a huge band them selves that I have never been as familiar with nor as much of a fan. To be 100% honest, I kindve found Slayer a bit repetitive, and most of the songs I've heard from them they didn't actually play. Non-the-less, they were great. I enjoyed them and I can definitely appreciate them being one of the absolute biggest names in metal. Slayer was pure head banging, my neck hurt too much from Megadeth for me to do much, but it was pure head banging it just made you want to head bang. At least for the first few songs :p

The crowd was definately a Slayer crowd though, they loved Slayer like no tomorrow. Megadeth was also loved but definately to a smaller extent, just exiting the theatre to shouts of SLAYER, SLAYER etc kindve worked as a TESTAMENT (see what I did there) to this fact.

Slayer was loud. I swear it. I wore ear phones for Testament and Slayer, I could still hear fine but I wanted to preserve my hearing. Slayer was darn darn darn loud. And it was pretty cool because they had the classic Marshall stack wall behind them (18 Marshall cabs stacked behind the players) and of course since there were 2 guitarists, they were running 36 cabs which is retarded in addition to the speakers >.>

None of the bands had an AMAZING set it self, since really theres 2 huge bands and 1 pretty large one so its hard to do something like the Maiden or Rush concert were 1 band was headlining or what ever, but the sets worked and the lighting was pretty cool.

It was great to see David Ellefson back in Megadeth, he played some really cool bass parts and a lot of times he was alone on stage. Right before Peace sells he came out alone and was like ARE YOU STILL WITH US TORONTO *breaks into song* pretty awesome :) \m/ rock on Dave and David \m//

Even though I told myself I'm not going to buy another shirt, I ended up doing that just because of how awesome Megadeth is ;)

I'll be honest, I don't think any concert again will ever be like my first concert with Maiden because that was just speechlessly amazing I can't even describe the experience. How ever, this Megadeth/Slayer concert definitely had a similar feel in the sense that there was some great energy around. Looking around and seeing so many Slayer fans pumping their fists and head banging to a crazy extent was something. Not the same as seeing hundreds of lighters during Fear of the dark, but definitely something.

You know, a lot of people get scared of like Slayer fans and stuff, but really they aren't bad at all. Every person I met today, or bumped into just turned around with a massive smile, pumped their devil fists and yelled SLAYYERRR or ROCK ON or what ever. Watching them interact with others was a similar experience. It is its own culture, a culture that is often mis understood and mis termed by others who aren't part of it and don't understand what it means to be a heavy metal fan. Now personally, I admit I'm more of a Classic rock or what ever guy, but I can definitely understand the way these people feel and I often feel with them, I enjoy their presence. Don't be too scared of people like this my friends, there isn't much chance of them being worse than many others you may see.

Testament setlist: (I wish I didn't miss the first 2 songs ='[ ] (we were RIGHT outside in the cue, it was so QQ because we could just hear it and yeah lol )

For The Glory Of
More Than Meets the Eye
D.N.R. (Do Not Resuscitate)
The New Order
Practice What You Preach
Into the Pit
The Persecuted Won't Forget
The Formation Of Damnation

Megadeth Setlist:
<3 (L) <3;

Holy Wars... The Punishment Due
Hangar 18
Take No Prisoners
Five Magics
Poison Was the Cure
Lucretia
Tornado of Souls
Dawn Patrol
Rust in Peace... Polaris
Trust
Headcrusher
A Tout Le Monde
Symphony Of Destruction

Encore:
Peace Sells

Slayer setlist:

World Painted Blood
War Ensemble
Blood Red
Spirit in Black
Expendable Youth
Dead Skin Mask
Hallowed Point
Skeletons of Society
Temptation
Born of Fire
Seasons in the Abyss

Encore:
South of Heaven
Raining Blood
Angel of Death

No comments:

Post a Comment